Flattering swimsuits for big hips may seem like an oxymoron; how can a suit be flattering when swimsuits leave the hips are bare? There are some key guidelines that make a big difference in appearance. It’s possible, trust me.
Understanding shopping for your body type is the most valuable tool you can have. @the_luxicon
This really sunk in for me when I toured the Miracle Suit Showroom in New York. I saw loads of before and after photos and the results were incredible. Miracle Suit is a shape-wear company for swim, so they are like Spanx, but the before and after shots went beyond squeezing into shape-wear. Colors, patterns, prints, fit and design details make a big difference.
Tips for Shopping Flattering Swimsuits for Big Hips:
- Use prints, patterns and design features up top to draw attention up. Solid colors on the bottom of the suit (one piece or two) will minimize the lower half.
- If you’re more pale, shop darker striking solid colors like: navy, jewel tones, oxblood. If you’re tan or darker skinned, go for brighter colors.
- Boy shorts make the hips look wider, no matter what your shape. If you’re looking to elongate the legs and minimize hips, choose a higher cut bottom rather than a boy cut.
- Halter tops and triangle cut tops will draw the eye up and narrow the upper body, whereas bandeau tops widen the bust. You may want to widen the bust for balance depending on your shape.
- If you have a smaller figure, smaller prints will work, but if you have a larger figure, the small prints work against you, so rock the larger patterns.
- Shape-wear can also be very beneficial toward hiding problem areas.
Notice the design feature on the top of this one piece.. The eye is drawn up toward the sparkly chains.
Use patterns to your advantage. This top is a perfect top to pair with a plain black bottom. The focus will be on the chevron pattern and not on the bottoms.
Halter tops narrow the figure to the neckline, which draws attention up. The netting feature on this suit also attracts attention. Double win!
The ruching details on this suit are all on the top, which balances a smaller bust and focuses attention on the top. The smooth bottoms slim and trim the bottoms.
The solid bottom part of this suit minimizes the hip area.
This Miracle Suit has hip-slimming ruching details and also tucks everything in just like Spanx.
Ready to get out there and shop on your own?
Shop My Picks:
What’s your biggest swim suit blunder?