Swaddle blankets were the most received item at our baby shower. Most of our friends gave an item off the registry and then threw in their favorite swaddle blanket. Every parent seemed to have a favorite swaddle blanket, so I felt like I had a million of them after our shower.
We tried all of them within the first few days of bringing home our newborn. Let me just say that I’ve got mad swaddle skills, but they were no match for my little ninja escape artist. It didn’t matter the material or size of the blanket, he would find a way out of it and scream at precisely the moment his over-tired parents were able to fall asleep.
Picture this… middle of the second night at home, I hadn’t slept well for
five nights forever and was recovering from a c-section, hubby was exhausted from working and being up with baby and our post-circumcised baby was angry, painful and refusing to stay in every swaddle we tried. He WOULD NOT sleep.
I had one swaddle blanket left to try. It was the Smarter Swaddle by Ollie World, which I received for free in exchange for my review. The packaging was so cute that I nearly cried when I laid my preggo eyes on it. I wanted to take pictures of it for this blog post prior to busting the swaddle blanket out and laundering it. After all, I collected enough swaddle blankets to hold out until I was rested, recovered and had time to test the Ollie World “Smarter Swaddle” at my convenience. Am I crazy? Yes, I was.
In the moment on that second night at home, I ditched any preconceived dreams that I was going to do this on my terms. “GO GET THE OLLIE SWADDLE BLANKET!” I cried at that awful moment when we’d both had enough of the crying and desperately wanted some sleep. Not only is the Ollie Swaddle blanket ninja-proof, it’s easy to use; no swaddle skills necessary.
And just like that…
My sweet boy calmed down.
A baby that sleeps…
Is a happy baby.
Other Reasons to Love the
- It rests just below the shoulders, which doesn’t put any downward pull on the joints. I wasn’t much older than my sweet boy when I first dislocated my shoulder, so this is near and dear to me.
- Hook and loop closures (kind of like velcro) make it super easy to use, no tucking fabric, no bulky fabric bothering baby, no skills necessary.
- The fabric quality is amazing. You all know I sew and my hubby asked if I could just whip up a replica swaddle blanket when the Ollie Smarter Swaddle was sold out. (It’s back in stock here) I have no idea where to source fabric of this quality. It has the right amount of stretch to hold baby tight, without stretching too loose or losing that snap back over time. It has fluid wicking properties, so baby doesn’t overheat when sweaty and it dries super fast in the event that baby spits up a little and actually manages to stay asleep.
- Easy access for diaper changes by undoing the bottom, but not the shoulders.
- Looser fit around the hips allows baby’s hips to develop properly.
- Recently baby boy decided to refuse bottles halfway through finishing them and we discovered that swaddling him calms him enough to take down the rest of the milk. Amazing that the swaddle works for this after we’ve tried taking breaks, being patient, burping him, different nipples, different bottles, varying nap schedules and different milk temperatures.
- The adorable keepsake box it comes in.
The Ollie Swaddle is back in stock. Get yours for 10% off here.
Want to know what else I thought was a “baby nice to have” that made my Baby Must Have List? Read all about them here.