Having impeccable style comes down to one important element; finding your strengths and capitalizing on them.
We all have that one friend who always looks amazing; every time you see her, she is poised, well dressed and carries herself with confidence. How does she do it?
It’s simple. Know yourself and what your body has to offer. We all have positive assets to show the world. Having style is easy when you have the best tools at hand. No I don’t mean, that it’s easy to be stylish if you’re Angelina Jolie or Beyoncé. It probably doesn’t hurt, but we all have an inner Beyoncé/Jolie waiting to be unleashed.
where to start
First and foremost, identify your body type. There are guidelines for amplifying every body type and they are guidelines not rules because rules aren’t meant to be broken.
- Apple- Broad shoulders and waist area with narrower hips and legs.
- Pear- Larger hips accompanied by smaller bust and shoulders.
- Rectangular (banana)- Slim throughout the bust, waist and hips with a fairly straight silhouette.
- Hourglass- Curvy bust and hips accompanied by a smaller waist.
It’s also important to note if you have a long torso or a short torso and dress proportionately.
getting dressed in the morning or before an event should be a fun experience that sets the tone of your day.
I still have days when I don an outfit that looked great on a mannequin or in the store, but when I pair it with my accessories and shoes, it doesn’t hit the mark. It’s disappointing sure, but now that I have all the secrets of fashion insiders, I know how to tweak an ensemble to work better for me. Notice the difference it makes to add a jacket to the outfit below. Suddenly I have a smaller waist and I appear better proportioned.
Follow these links for the tricks of the trade for dressing by body type:
- Dressing the Apple body type.
- Dressing the Pear body type.
- Dressing the Rectangular body type.
- Dressing the Hourglass body type.
- Dressing the Short Torso.
- Dressing the Long Torso.
Good luck honing your style. If you have any questions, drop them in the comments section below.